5 Guaranteed Ways to Find God In The Everyday
Sometimes life can feel like the directions on the back of a shampoo bottle. Instead of lather, rinse, repeat we end up in a cycle of survive, crash, repeat. We go from day to day doing the same things only to wake up and do them again the next day. What if there was a way to break out of the cycle? Would you take the leap? What if I could promise that it won’t even hurt?
Routine can be great. Believe me, my type A self loves having laundry day and vacuum day, church day and fun day all mapped out to fit in those beautiful boxes on my calendar. But when we’re so busy filling our calendar boxes that we forget to notice God, we’re the ones missing out.
Here are 5 great ways to find God without throwing away our real life calendars.
- Stop and say thank you. For anything. Look around you and thank God for something. It could be the clothes on your back or the air that you breathe. Everyone has something to be thankful for. Say it.
- Worship. Jeff Clarke recently wrote on his blog, “If worship, for the vast majority of us at least, is inextricably linked with what happens on Sunday, what do we do on Monday?” Make worship part of your life. Let it linger in the quiet or shout it out with music. Just worship and you can change the atmosphere around you.
- Rest. We’re all so busy filling our calendar squares, running, working, getting it all done. God rested on the seventh day. Maybe you don’t feel like you can take a whole day (after all the kids still need to eat), but rest is about so much more than what our body is doing. Make time in your day to change your mindset from the go, go, go pace to being at peace with a moment. Even a few minutes can make a difference.
- Be outside. I’m not much of an outdoorsy girl, but when things feel like they are pressing in taking a moment to feel fresh air on my face can change my whole mood. God created air and light and dark. He created trees and ground and sky. Notice it and you notice Him.
- Be nice. It can be as simple as smiling at someone or telling them to have a great day. It doesn’t have to be grand or cost money (although that works too). Just give someone else a moment of kindness and feel God’s heart.
These ideas take only a moment in your day, but can make all the difference. God is there, we just forget to look. It’s time to see Him in real life. He’s been there all along.
Linking up with friends across the web today!
About Becky Hastings
I am emotional and logical. I am strong and dependent. I am a juxtaposition of head and heart exploring it all through writing. And in all my mixed-up ways I am loved. I'm here to tell you that you are, too. Just the way you are.